Adair County Infirmary Records
Scope and Content Note
Records of the Adair County Infirmary including patient and grave registers.
- County Home Record, 1881-1934: a ledger listing residents, date admitted, place of birth, parents; names and place of birth, marital condition, nature of defect, date and character of discharge.
- Adair County Infirmary Patient Register, 1881-1937: listing patient, date of admittance and discharge, length of residence in county, sex, race, marital condition, date of birth, age, occupation, employer, place of birth, parents' names and place of birth, informant name and address.
- Adair County Infirmary Patient Register, 1937-1942: listing patient, date of admittance and discharge, length of residence in county, sex, race, marital condition, date of birth, age, occupation, employer, place of birth, parents' names and place of birth, informant name and address.
- Adair County Infirmary Grave register, 1920s: listing a few graves in the County Cemetery. In the back of the County Home Record ledger is also a plat of the County Cemetery (handwritten, undated) which gives names and location of some of the graves in the County Cemetery. These records are not complete often having only the patient's name and date of admittance.
- Adair County Infirmary (Mo.) (Organization)
Notes on Use of Collection
The library reserves the right to restrict access to its collections. Researchers agree to abide by any restrictions placed by the library on its collections. Learn more about our policies and services.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Board of Governors for Truman State University, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
Researchers further agree to indemnify and hold harmless Truman State University, Pickler Memorial Library, and their officers, employees, and agents from and against all suits, claims, actions, and expenses arising out of use of collections held by the library.
0.7 linear feet
Language of Materials
Transcripts and photocopies of the County Home Record Residents Roster, 1881-1934; two Adair County Infirmary Patient Registers, 1881-1942; Adair County Infirmary Grave Register, 1920s (incomplete).
This collection is organized into four series
- County Home Record, 1881-1934
- Adair County Infirmary Patient Register, 1881-1937
- Adair County Infirmary Patient Register, 1937-1942
- Adair County infirmary Grave Register, 1920s
During the summer of 2001, the Special Collections Department in cooperation with the Adair County Historical Society transcribed and indexed records from the Adair County Home/Infirmary. The transcribed copies of these records are available in our Manuscript Collections while the original ledger and registers are held by the Adair County Historical Society in Kirksville, MO. The Adair County Clerk has the official Adair County Home/Infirmary records.
Our purpose in undertaking this project was to document the lives of those Adair Countians who lived at this facility, some of whom have no other memorial.
The records were transcribed as written. As is often the case with handwritten documents, the writing styles are sometimes difficult to read, the ink is often faded, and spelling can be creative and inconsistent. Effort has been made to verify spellings. If a difference was found, the transcriber's correction is enclosed in parentheses. With a project of this type errors are often unavoidable, and we apologize in advance for any contained herein.
- Adair County Infirmary records, 1881-1942
- Finding aid prepared by Elaine Doak.
- Language of description
- Script of description